After purchasing the Viltrox EF-M2 for the Sigma 18-35mm, I started looking at other lenses for our Micro Four-Thirds system. The goal was an inexpensive, wide aperture lens. The Yongnuo 50mm f/1.8 at $46 seemed to meet both requirements.
So getting right into it, the speedbooster has a .71x crop, making the 50mm into a 35mm lens. This is equivalent to a 71mm on a full-frame (if you believe in that sort of thing). Due to the speedbooster, you also gain a stop of light: f/1.8 * .71 = f/1.27
50mm * .71 crop/mm * 2 mm/crop = 71mmFocal-length equivalence (FF/35mm)
The lens mount is plastic. Seriously, what do you expect for $46? The advantage here is it’s so light weight. The focus ring is also loose. Honestly, for $46, we’re lucky this thing isn’t made from a potato.
These images are straight from the camera (unedited). If you’d like to see a portrait in good lighting conditions, comment and I’ll make it happen.
- Requires a speedbooster.
- When using manual focus, the ring may drift. I had to hold it firmly.
- The auto-focus on this missed about 50% of the time. I couldn’t tell if it was from the lens itself or the Viltrox Speedbooster. If you’re gonna use this for photography, you might be better off using manual focus with focus peaking.
- This is a fantastic lens for portraits. Not exactly a 85mm, but it’s not far off at 71mm.
- The light weight. It’s seriously light and won’t add much weight in your camera bag.
- Did I mention it was $46? It’s so cheap! Makes a great back-up lens.
If you shoot manual and need a lens in this focal range, the $46 is a no-brainer. The video quality was absolutely fantastic. Many parts of our G85 video was shot on this lens. Also, if you don’t already down a speedbooster, I don’t recommend purchasing one just for this lens. That defeats the bargain aspect of this deal.
This would be great for casual shooting and I recommend the Canon f/1.8 for professional work. For a native option, I recommend the 42.5 f/1.7 (or f/1.2) – you’ll be much happier with the build quality and results. Native options are anywhere from 9x – 30x the price of this lens, but are they 9x – 30x the quality? I don’t think so.
I simply can’t think of any other lens that might beat this bargain. Let me know what you think in the comments below.